Governor Perdue Announces 15 Gas Gouging Settlements
|Tuesday, November 15, 2005||
Contact: Office of Communications 404-651-7774
Fines Range between $1,000 to $10,000 Depending on Severity
ATLANTA - Today Governor Sonny Perdue announced that 15 settlements have been reached from recent gasoline price gouging investigations performed by the Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs (OCA). OCA began price gouging investigations immediately after Governor Perdue's August 31, 2005 Executive Order to control spiraling motor fuel costs in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. The statewide settlements include both consumer restitution and civil penalties ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 depending upon the severity of the violation.
“I refuse to stand by and watch while Georgia citizens are being exploited,” said Governor Sonny Perdue. “Gasoline price gouging will not be tolerated, and we will continue to track down businesses who took advantage of Georgians during the hurricane crisis.”
The Governor's announcement today marks the first wave of settlements. OCA is investigating more than 100 potential cases. OCA received more than 3,300 complaints or inquiries regarding price gouging since August 31, 2005 .
The 15 settlements were filed in Fulton County Court today. All fines collected are deposited in the state treasury. In addition to fines, guilty gas stations will be required to post signage on gas pumps advertising that customers who have their receipts and believe they were charged artificially inflated prices will be reimbursed.
The first wave of settlements include the following 15 gas stations:
- Taj International, Inc. d/b/a Shell Food Mart, 5110 Browns Bridge Road , Cumming , GA 30041 - $2,000.00
- Chowdhury, Inc. d/b/a Chevron on Clairmont Road , 3630 Clairmont Road , Chamblee , GA 30341 - $2,000.00
- Rhea Investments, LLC d/b/a Shell Food Mart - Cascade Road, 3580 Cascade Road, Atlanta, GA 30331 - $3,000.00
- Peach State Capital, Inc. d/b/a Shell Food Mart - Holcomb Bridge , 685 Holcomb Bridge Road , Roswell , GA 30076 - $4,330.50
- ARZ, Inc. d/b/a Chevron Food Mart, 4891 Roosevelt Highway , College Park , GA 30349 - $3,000.00 (civil penalty only, no customer restitution)
- Coner Shop, Inc. d/b/a Corner Shop Atlanta , 3390 Buford Highway , Atlanta , GA 30329 - $1,000.00
- Saniha & Sameer, Inc. d/b/a Shell Food Mart, 3638 Highway 5, Douglasville , GA 30135 - $4,000.00
- City Shop, Inc. d/b/a Chevron Short Stop, 993 Sigman Road , Conyers , GA 30012 – (no civil penalty, only customer restitution)
- Defoors E-Z Stop Food, Inc. d/b/a E-Z Food Stop, 2118 DeFoors Ferry Road , Atlanta , GA 30318 - $7,000.00
- Tristar Petro, Inc. d/b/a Adel Truck Plaza , 1503 W. 4th Street , Adel , GA 31620 - $10,000.00
- Yong Kwon d/b/a Sam's One Stop Citgo, 1025 Merchant's Drive, Dallas, GA 30132 - $2,000.00
- Ali's Investment, Inc. d/b/a Harry's BP Station, 2207 West Spring Street, Monroe, Georgia 30655 - $2,500.00
- First Class Mart, LLC d/b/s Thornton Road Food Mart, 1104 Thornton Road , Lithia Springs , GA 30122 - $1,000.00
- Trident Investments of Conyers, LLC d/b/a Mobil Food Mart, 1085 Irwin Bridge Road, Conyers, GA 30012 - (no civil penalty, only customer restitution)
- Iquar Enterprises d/b/a Chevron Food Shop, 5694 Buford Highway , Norcross , GA 30071 - $2,000.00